Texas Tiki Week will take place August 2-9 with events happening all over Austin. The annual event, organized by Austin chapter of the United States Bartenders’ Guild, celebrates tiki culture and tropical drinks with rum as a central ingredient. We’re a sucker for Tiki drinks and will definitely hit a few places to get our fix. Austin-made Treaty Oak Rum, will be poured at some of the following spots in Austin throughout Texas Tiki Week.
Treaty Oak at Texas Tiki Week
- Mai Tai Tiki Tuesday Bus Tour, Tuesday, August 4, 2015 from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM traveling to Isla Austin, WeatherUp, The Tigress, drink.well. and ending at King Bee
- Featured in the Texas Mai Tai at The Patio Bar at Corner in the JW Marriott (photo and recipe below)
- Featured in the Tybee Beach cocktail at Freedmen’s
Three Must Have Cocktails from Treaty Oak Rum
Texas Mai Tai, prepared by Carley Dunavant, JW Marriott Austin
- 1.5 oz. Treaty Oak Platinum Rum
- .5 oz. fresh lime juice
- .5 oz. Cointreau
- .5 oz Ogreat
- Treaty Oak Barrel Reserve Rum floater
Combine the Treaty Oak Platinum Rum, Cointreau, orgeat, and lime juice in a mixing glass and shake vigorously with ice to chill. Strain drink into a glass filled with ice. Slowly pour Treaty Oak Barrel Reserve Rum to layer on top. Garnish with mint sprig.
Cocktails by Matt Moody, Treaty Oak cocktail guy:
Treaty Oak Mai Tai
- 1 oz. Treaty Oak Rum
- 1 oz. Treaty Oak Barrel Reserve Rum
- 1/2 oz. Paula’s Texas Orange or Pierre Ferrand Orange Curacao
- 3/4 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 3/4 oz. Orgeat (Almond Syrup- B.G. Reynolds brand works well)
- Mint Sprig and Lime wheel for Garnish
Combine the Treaty Oak rums, orange curacao, orgeat, and lime juice in a mixing glass and shake vigorously with ice to chill. Strain drink into a glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish with the mint sprig and lime wheel on the rim of the glass.
Army and Navy Cocktail
- 2 oz. Treaty Oak Waterloo Gin
- 1/2 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 oz. Orgeat (Almond Syrup- B.G. Reynolds brand works well)
- Lemon Twist for Garnish
Combine the Treaty Oak Waterloo gin, lemon juice, and orgeat in a mixing glass and shake vigorously with ice. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with the lemon twist.