JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa is giving their guests something extra to be thankful for this year. Guests staying at the resort over Thanksgiving can indulge in the decadent Thanksgiving menus at the resort’s restaurants, Cibolo Moon or 18 Oaks. For those that are not traveling over Thanksgiving, the pastry chef shared their delicious recipe for a Pecan Bourbon Tart dessert to make at home.
Thanksgiving Dinner is never complete without dessert, so Cibolo Moon is whipping up 16 unique and mouth-watering items to go with their holiday dinner offering. The resort team will not tell anyone if guests choose to begin with dessert! Among the dessert menu is the pecan bourbon tart. The pastry chef is sharing the dessert recipe for those that are spending the holiday at home and need a new addition to their final course.
Yields one 10-inch tart
1 Cup All purpose flour
Pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
8 Tablespoons butter (cold, cut into pieces )
1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 Cups granulated sugar
½ Cup water
1 Teaspoon lemon juice
1 Cup whipping cream
4 Cups pecan pieces
½ Cup Bourbon of your choice
1. Prepare the pastry dough by combining the flour, salt, and sugar in a mixer with a paddle attachment, add the butter and mix until butter starts to break down. Add the egg yolk and lemon juice until the dough becomes smooth and forms a ball. Remove from the mixer, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Roll the chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to form a 12-inch circle and carefully transfer the pastry into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the bottom and the sides of the pan, trim the edges, and place it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the freezer and prick the bottom of the pan with a fork, and pre-bake in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven until the bottom and sides begin to brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. Prepare the filling by combining the sugar, lemon juice and water in a heavy saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves, then raise the heat to medium and cook until it starts to turn to a light caramel color.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, carefully stir in the whipping cream and bourbon and allow the mixture to cool. Add egg yolks, and pecan pieces and pour mixture into prepared pastry tart mold.
6. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes, or until the filling is set, with the top lightly browned.
7. Allow the tart to cool, cut and serve.