May is National Burger Month and the Western Burger is a perfect, guilt-free way to celebrate the month-long holiday and gives a nutritious spin on one of Texans’ summertime staples fit for any backyard gathering.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Combine Ground Beef, jalapeño pepper, onion, cilantro, salt and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (on preheated gas grill, cook over medium heat, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160 degrees F, turning occasionally.
- Place each burger on a lettuce leaf. Evenly top with tomato, avocado and onion slices. Wrap lettuce leaves around burgers.