Put on that Hawaiian shirt you have in the back of your closet because drink.well. bar (as well as several other bars across Austin) will be celebrating Texas’ Third Annual Tiki Week starting Tuesday, June 24th. Texas Tiki week is a celebration of tiki cocktails and cultures represented by the Texas chapters of the United States Bartenders Guild (USBG).
Events below are specific to drink.well.:
- Tuesday, June 24th ,Texas Tiki Week Kick Off, 4-11 PM: To start this year’s Tiki Week off right, the drink.well. team drew inspiration from a very special place – the epic finale of Grease 2 and their “Rock a Hula Luau.”. drink.well. will feature a special menu of five tiki cocktails, including a tiki re-imagining of a classic Pink Lady which will include Old Tom Gin, Calvados and a spiced hibiscus grenadine and the “T-Bird,” a Jungle Bird variation with rhum agricole, pineapple gomme syrup and aperol! Joining the crew that evening will be Mindy Kucan, visiting Austin from ‘Hale Pele’, one of the nation’s best tiki cocktail programs. Mindy has deep roots in Texas, formerly working at the East Side Showroom in Austin and Anvil Bar & Refuge in Houston. She will be behind the stick at drink.well. from 8-10pm.
- Wednesday, June 25th, Potions of the Caribbean, 4-11 PM: drink.well. will be serving up its staff’s favorite preparations from Potions of the Caribbean, the latest book from Tiki guru, Beachbum Berry. The menu for that night will include a Trader Vic Mai Tai (Jamaican rum, vieux rhum agricole, dry curaçao, orgeat, fresh lime), Tropical Itch (Jamaican and Puerto Rican rum, Vodka, dry curacao, mango puree, fresh lime, angostura bitters), Suffering Bastard (gin, cognac, housemade lime cordial, Angostura bitters, ginger beer) and the Derby Cocktail Tropical (Bourbon, pineapple gomme syrup, fine sugar, fresh lemon, mint).
- Thursday, June 26th, Rum takes FLIGHT!, 4-11 PM: Guests will be able to taste flights of four distinctive rums of varying styles and origins, accompanied by tasting notes prepared by the drink.well. staff. Each flight will consist of (4) 3/4 oz pours and will be priced at $12.
- Friday, June 27th, Daiquiri Night, 4PM-12AM: drink.well. will pay homage to one of tiki’s most famous drinks by serving three varieties of the daiquiri: Classic Daiquiri (Panamanian rum, fresh lime, rich simple syrup), an Agricole Daiquiri (Rhum Clement agricole, fresh lime, martinique cane syrup) and a Banana Daiquiri (Aged rum, Giffard creme de banana liqueur, velvet falernum, fresh lime, tiki bitters).
- Saturday, June 28th and Sunday, June 29th, Tiki Brunch, 12PM-4PM: Hosted by Angostura, drink.well. will offer a menu of tiki-inspired brunch cocktails featuring Angostura rum and bitters, including tropical mimosas (passionfruit or guava juice) and Tiki Milk Punch. To accompany the cocktails, a unique menu of brunch fare will be served, with a number of dishes prepared with Angostura bitters or rum.
- Sunday, June 29th, Punch Bowl Social, 4-11PM: drink.well.’s barkeeps will prepare a delightful tiki punch, which can be enjoyed by the cup OR served in a larger vessel for groups to share.