What do you get when you combine apple, zucchini, trail mix and super grains?
One tough tasty Muffin of course! I was preparing the grocery list for a camping trip to the Pacific Northwest, when this recipe came together.
These muffins are portable, perfect for a breakfast, loaded with fiber, and freeze well.
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup ground flax seed
¾ cup steel cut oats
1 cup brown sugar (you can substitute ½ cup Splenda brown sugar blend)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
½ cup skim milk
¼ cup vanilla Greek yogurt or alternative dairy free yogurt option
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups apples, shredded
2 cups carrots or zucchini shredded
½ cup raisins, craisins, or dried unsweetened (cherries, strawberries, blueberries)
1 cup chopped mixed nuts ( I use walnuts and pecans)
½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, flax seed, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl mix the milk, eggs, vanilla and oil. Stir into the dry mixture.
- Stir in carrots/zucchini, apples, raisins or other and nuts.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center of muffin comes out clean.
*If you have gogi berries, chia, or any additional superfoods in your cabinet.
Do not be afraid to toss a couple tablespoons in. Customize this re
cipe to fit your pantry.