Thanksgiving is fast approaching which means lots of leftovers! Here are creative ways to turn those dishes into completely different meals from some of the top chefs in Austin.
Jack Gilmore of Jack Allen’s Kitchen does Turkey & Dressing Meatballs with maple giblet gravy. The full recipe can be found in his recently released cookbook Jack Allen’s Kitchen: Celebrating the Tastes of Texas.
TURKEY AND DRESSING MEATBALLS WITH MAPLE GIBLET GRAVY
Courtesy of Chef Jack Gilmore, Jack Allen’s Kitchen
Meatball ingredients and preparation
· ¼ cup celery, diced
· ½ cup onion
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· 1 pound turkey leftovers
· 1 pound tamale and jalapeño-cornbread dressing, leftover
· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· 3 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and butter a sheet pan.
2. In large mixing bowl using hands, combine all ingredients and mix well.
3. Form mixture into 1-inch balls, place on pan, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
Maple Giblet Gravy ingredients and preparation
· 2 tablespoons butter
· ¼ cup onion, diced
· 2 tablespoons flour
· 3 cups chicken broth (boxed is fine)
· ½ cup giblets, cooked and chopped
· ¼ cup maple syrup
· 1 tablespoon sage, fresh and chopped
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. In saucepan, sauté butter and onions.
2. Gradually whisk flour into onions for approximately 2 minutes.
3. Add broth and giblets to onion mixture, and cook on medium heat until slightly thickened, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Add syrup and sage to saucepan, and season to taste.