The Official Drink of Austin competition celebrates Texas spirits and shines a spotlight on Austin’s talented bartending community. Judges for Official Drink of Austin, have been announced and include musician Aaron Behrens, lead singer of Ghostland Observatory/ The Midnight Stroll; award-winning Chef Michael Fojtasek of Olamaie; mixologist Chauncy Jamesrepresenting last year’s winning bar team, Garage; legendary Austin bartender Travis Tober, who serves as Director of Education and Advocacy for House Spirits Distillery; and host of KEYE’s “We Are Austin” lifestyle show and native Austinite Taylor Ellison.
Eight bar teams from local bars and restaurants were selected in a rousing citywide competition. The winning teams will mix up Austin-inspired cocktails at Fair Market, 1100 East 5th Street, at the May 12th event to raise funds for culinary grants while trying to capture the title of Austin’s official drink.
Austin’s top bar teams competing to claim the Official Drink of Austin 2016 title at the city’s premier cocktail event are District Kitchen + Cocktails, Geraldine’s, Central Standard Bar, drink.well.,Backbeat, Freedmen’s, Juliet, and Juniper. These bars were chosen from among 37 entries from Austin’s top craft cocktail bars.
Restaurants featured include:
- Chi’Lantro BBQ – Vodka-Brined Wing Pops paired with Kimchi Gut Shot
- Fork & Vine – BBQ Pork Ribs
- Juliet Ristorante – Crispy Ceci Beans with Gremolata
- Salt & Time Butcher Shop & Salumeria – American Lamb Kibbeh Balls
- Lox, Box, & Barrel – Deviled Eggs with House Cured Bacon, Bagel Chips, & Smoke Salmon Mousse
- Swift’s Attic – Honey Comb & Truffled Cheese, Honeydew Melon with Micro Amaranth
- VOX Table – Brisket Bun with Yorkshire Pudding, Horseradish Creme, Akaushi Brisket
- COUNTER 3. FIVE. VII – Chilled Duck Terrine with Potato Mousse & Summer Savory
- The Townsend – Lamb Meatballs with Mushroom Ketchup, Herbs & Lemon
- Frank – CurryWurst and QuesoWurst
- Wu Chow – Five Spice Braised Pork Belly, Charred Spring Onion Purée, & Local Vegetable
- Alcomar – Oysters on the Half Shell with Habanero Mignonette
- Nightcap – Radish Escabeche
- The Bonneville – Korean-Style Braised Lamb Steamed Buns
- Sway – Plathuna Khrib: Ahi Tuna, Crispy Rice Flour Shell, Thai Chili & Lime
- Backbeat – Red Curry Rabbit, Farmhouse Pickles & Toasted Crostini
- drink.well. – Smoked Eggplant Flatbread with Arugula, Roasted Red Pepper, and Grana Padano
- Apis – Dry Aged Beef Tartare “Parisa”, Jalapeno, Mimolette & Egg Yolk
- Lick Honest Ice Creams – Loquat Margarita with Mulberry Sauce
- Weather Up – Chilled Pea Soup with Pink Peppercorn Chevre
- Amy’s Ice Cream – Mini Jagermeister Spice Floats & Ice Cream Sandwiches with Fernet Branca Menta
Austin cocktail lovers will have the chance to taste cocktails from the Official Drinkof Austin finalists and sample cocktails featuring Texas spirits from Treaty Oak Distilling, Paula’s Texas Spirits, Tito’s Handmade Vodka, Garrison Brothers, Highborn Gin, Revolution Spirits, Dripping Springs Vodka, Dripping Springs Gin, Dulce Vida Organic Tequila, and more.
AFWA is the designated beneficiary of the Austin Food + Wine Festival, a three-day tribute to world-renowned chefs and winemakers held each spring.