Go North, Young Man
By Marika Flatt
I have a new favorite restaurant in Austin. North Italia in the The Domain has moved up to primero uno on my foodie list. The Italian restaurant has been in the upscale shopping center for several years. The dining experience I had recently was superb.
Let me count the ways I love going North:
- Location, location, location- Living in Round Rock, I love finding a delicious restaurant in north Austin; not having to drive all the way downtown. The Domain is easy to get to from Round Rock.
- The ambiance- It’s an upscale restaurant (as most in The Domain are) but feels comfortable and intimate, too. It’s large enough that there are plenty of tables but the dim lighting offers a cozy feel.
- Wine list—The Bortoluzzi chardonnay from Italy is a crisp, cool choice. Another great wine selection is their Fox Block 9, a hearty red that paired very well with our meals. Fox Block is their small batch vintage that’s certainly worth a try.
- For starters…– The Burrata with fava beans, artichoke, pistachio, mint, and lemon conserva is a delightful way to start your meal. I first tried burrata last summer in Vancouver and since then, I’ve tried it everywhere I see it on the menu. I’ve had some good, and some not so good. This one was worth going back for! I also recommend the Arancini, which is a fried mushroom risotto stuffed with scamorza cheese. However, note there are only 3 per serving. Another treat is the beautiful Italian Farm salad, featuring salami, cheese, roasted peppers, red onion, and olives topped with an Italian vinaigrette.
- Worth the wait—If you’re looking for pasta, I recommend the Strozzapreti (a type of pasta) featuring chicken, roasted mushrooms, spinach, and toasted pine nuts topped with a parmesan cream. If you’re more in the mood for beef, go with the tender Braised Beef Short Ribs, wisely paired with the daily roasted veggies and a creamy white polenta.
- Finito—Create a tasty ending with the Caramel Budino for dessert or you could go with the unique Olive Oil Cake.
I look forward to returning to my new fave eatery and trying other selections. I’ll be back! Visit www.NorthItaliaRestaurant.com for more info.
Marika Flatt serves as Travel Editor of Texas Lifestyle magazine (formerly Austin Lifestyle) and Austin Food magazine. Flatt has been a freelance magazine writer since 2002, simultaneously running literary PR agency, PR by the Book. Other publications Flatt regularly contributes to are her Flattlands blog and FamilyTravel.com. Additionally, she’s had travel features in GoodHousekeeping.com and NPR.com. You can find Marika on Twitter: @MarikaFlatt & @Flattlandsblog; on Instagram: @Flattlands; and Pinterest: @MarikaFlatt & @Flattlandsblog.