What do you get when you mix gin, vermouth and Campari? The classic Negroni; a cocktail so classic that it has it’s own celebratory week.
Negroni Week launched in 2013 as a way to raise money for charitable causes all around the world. Last year, over 3,500 venues participated and raised over $320,000 for their causes. A portion of each Negroni sale goes towards the bars charity of choice. Presented by Imbibe Magazine and Campari, this year’s Negroni Week is from June 6-12th and hopes to surpass last years total.
Here in Austin, Negroni Week will be in full force and supported by the United States Bartender Guild (USBG) Austin Chapter. Bartenders from across the Austin area will stir (never shake) Negronis to those wanting to celebrate the cocktail or try one for the first time, all while supporting the bar’s designated charity.
“Negroni Week is an amazing week-long event where we as a bar community get to give back to our city. The USBG helps connect our bar community and creates a network for us to support one another. Negroni Week is a fun week where we get to do what we love, celebrate a drink the bar and restaurant industry adores, and to help support various charities and non-profits throughout Austin, Texas. The USBG is honored to be a part of this incredible week, and is thrilled to have so many members and their bars participating in this week long fundraising event.” Amanda Carto, USBG Austin Secretary
Backbeat will kick off Negroni Week with an Official Austin RED PARTY industry event on June 6th from 6:30-9:30pm. USBG members can attend an education session with RSVP at 5:30pm on the history and variations of this classic cocktail.
To date, over 28 bars and restaurants have pledged to donate a portion of every Negroni, specialty Campari cocktail or Negroni-inspired item sold to a worthy cause. Here’s a peek at some of the bars participating, their Negroni specialties and the causes they will be supporting. For an up-to-date list, visit the Negroni Week website.
Backbeat (Mary Lee Foundation):
- Classic – Ford’s London Dry Gin, Cocchi di Torino Vermouth, Campari
- Sbagliato Bianco – Prosecco, Lemon Thyme-Infused Dolin Blanc Vermouth, Suze
- Tehuana Trio – Del Maguey Vida Mezcal, Coconut-Washed Bianco Vermouth, Capelleti Aperitivo Rosso
- Right Hand – Aged Rum, Punt e Mes vermouth, Campari, Smoked Chocolate Bitters
Counter 3. Five. VII (MusicTechandFood.org):
- Classic Negroni -Boodles Gin, Campari, Noilly Prat Rouge. Orange Swath over fresh rocks
- Negroni Blanc -Hendrick’s Gin, La Quintinye Extra Dry, Dolin Blanc de Chambers, Juniper Ice, Sour Orange
Péché (Paws in Prison):
- “La Fumée Pêche (“The Smoky Peach”) – Mezcal, Campari, Housemade peach gum syrup. Served with a peach brûlée
- Frapponi – Absinthe, Campari, Housemade Orgeat. Over crushed ice
- Lone Negroni – Tru Organic Gin, Campari, Lone Star
- Titoni – Tito’s Vodka, Campari, Sparkling Wine
Small Victory (Urban Roots):
- Rosita – tequila reposado, dry vermouth, sweet vermouth, Campari, Angostura bitters. Served on a rock, garnished with a lemon peel.
- Negroni Colada – Campari, bianco vermouth, gin, cream, house coconut cream, fresh pineapple juice. Served on crushed ice, garnished with a pineapple wedge and cherry.
The Roosevelt Room (Austin Children’s Shelter): The Perfect Bloom – Beefeater Gin, Dolin Blanc, Amaro Montenegro, Fusion Verjus Blanc. Over large ice in a wine glass; garnished with 4 sprays of Hakushu 12-year, lime oils and cucumber slice flower.
W Austin (USBG):
- Classic – Beef Eater Gin, Carpano Antica, Campari. Untouched original with quality ingredients.
- Napoleon – Aperol, Lillet Rose, Veuve Cliquet Yellow Label. Light and Sparking French twist perfect for summer sipping.
The Bonneville (Austin Humane Society):
- Classic Negroni – Ford Gin, Carpano Antica, Campari
- Tropical Negroni – Barrel Aged Rum, Pineapple-Vanilla Campari, Cocchi
- Hibiscus Negroni – Hibiscus Infused Gin, Aperol, St Germaine
- Chocolate Negroni – Blanco Tequila, Chocolate Campari, Lillet, Salt
- NOLA Negroni – Sazerac Rye, Campari, Carpano, Burlesque Bitters
Frank (Austin Pets Alive):
- Classic Negroni – Gin, Campari, Sweet Vermouth
- Negroni Sbagliato – Sparkling Wine, Campari, Sweet Vermouth
- Boulevardier – Bourbon, Campari, Sweet Vermouth
- Vida Negroni – Mezcal, Campari, Sweet Vermouth
- Cherry Negroni – Aged Rum, Campari, Cherry Herring
Waller Creek Pub (Austin Pets Alive): Barrel-Aged Negroni – Dripping Springs Gin, Contratto Vermouth Rosso, Campari and a Candied Orange Peel.
Hyatt Regency (Urban Roots):
- Negroni: Treaty Oak Waterloo Gin, Campari, Carpano Antica Vermouth
- Boulevardier: Treaty Oak Red Handed Bourbon, Campari, Carpano Antica Vermouth
- Frozen Sbagliato Rosa: Prosecco, Campari, Carpano Bianco
Stella San Jac (Back on my Feet) The Peachy King – summer time version of a Negroni. White Peach Infused Beefeater Gin, Basil Infused Lillet Blanc, Suze, topped off with Nino Franco Prosecco.
Gelateria Gemelli (AIDS Services of Austin): Mezcal Negroni. A slightly smoky take on the classic with rum and mezcal.
Juliet Restaurant (Communities in Schools/Central Texas):
- Classic Negroni – Campari, Gin, Carpano Antica. Served in a double rocks glass, on the rocks, orange peel garnish.
- Negroni Sour – Campari, Gin, Carpano Antica, Lemon, Simple. Served up in a coupe. Orange peel garnish.
- Tiki Negroni – Campari, Gin, Carpano Antica, Pineapple, Coconut water, Simple, Lime, Ginger Beer, Bitters. Served in Tiki Mug, garnished with pineapple leaves, pineapple, and Luxardo Cherry.
- Frozen Negroni – Campari, Gin, Carpano Antica, Lemon, Simple. Served in goblet, Negroni fruit-rollup garnish, and Campari float on top.
- Negroni Flight – Your choice of 4 styles of Negronis.
- White Negroni- Gin, Dolin Blanc, Lillet Blanc, Suze. Served in a double rocks glass, on the rocks, lemon swath garnish.
- Rosita- Reposado Tequila, Cocchi Rosa, Dolin Dry, Campari. Served in a double rocks glass, on the rocks, lime swath garnish.
- Parisian Negroni- Cognac, Campari, Dolin Sweet. Served in a double rocks glass, on the rocks, orange swath garnish.
- Mezcal Negroni- Mezcal, Campari, Punt e Mes, Cocchi Rosa. Served in a double rocks glass, on the rocks, lime swath garnish.
- Boulevardier- Rye whiskey, Campari, Carpano Antica. Served up in coupe, lemon swath garnish.
- La Petite Negroni- Vodka, Lillet Rose, Aperol. Served up in coupe, luxardo cherry garnish.
- Negroni Pizza- Mushrooms, Garlic, Scallions, Fennel, and Shallots infused in Campari. Mozzarella, and Fontina Cheese. Basil Pomadoro sauce. Carpano Antica reduction glazed over top of pizza.
- Negroni Sorbetto- Campari, Gin, Carpano Antica Sorbetto. Garnished with 2 types of Campari meringue, and candied orange zest.
Whisler’s (St Judes Childrens Hospital): I’m Still Bitter-Campari, Gaia Sotol, Beefeater Gin, Cynar 70, Lemon peel. Stirred and strained over a large ice cube into an old fashioned glass with a lemon peel garnish.
Gibson Street Bar (Helping Hand Home for Children): Barrel-Aged Negroni
Cantine Italian Cafe & Bar (MusicTechandFood.org): Sylvari Negroni. Named after a fiction race of gentle, faerie flowers, the drink consists of jamaica infused mezcal, chamomile infused cocchi, gran classico and saffron bitters. Gentler and more floral than the traditional Negroni, the cocktail still packs a forceful boozy punch with an intoxicating, fresh floral nose.
Tèo Gelato (Austin Children’s Shelter): Negroni Gelato
District Kitchen + Cocktails (Austin Animal Center): House Negroni – Ransom Old Tom Gin, Campari, Carpano Antica vermouth, housemade citrus bitters
This is only a small sample of the many venues participating. Get out and try one and if you snap a pic, be sure to tag your cocktail photo with #NegroniWeek