PhoNatic’s Banh Mi Sliders feature all the makings of traditional Vietnamese banh mi – grilled marinated pork shoulder, cucumber, pickled carrots and daikon, fresh jalapeno, cilantro and house made aioli – but are served in a steamed Chinese bao bun, transforming the dish into a slider-sized bite.
Banh Mi Slider Ingredients:
- 1 package of Chinese bao buns
- ½ cup of aioli, homemade or store bought
- 2 pounds cooked marinated pork shoulder (recipe below)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 daikon, shredded
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno, sliced
Pork Shoulder Ingredients:
- 2 lbs thinly sliced pork butt or shoulder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
Directions For Making Pork Shoulder:
- Thinly slice pork. About 1/8 inch thick or so. Make this process easier by freezing the meat for about an hour or so before slicing. Just enough to firm up the pork to make it easier to slice.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender and give it a good mix.
- Add pork to a shallow dish or zip lock freezer bag. Pour marinade mixture out of blender and mix well with pork.
- Cover/Seal and allow to marinate in the fridge over night or at least 6 hours.
- Remove marinated meat from refrigerator after it has been marinated at least 6 hours.
- Using a wire grilling basket, arrange pork in an even layer and secure basket.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill with two heat zones. One direct and one indirect. First place basket in direct heat zone, turning frequently to avoid flare ups. About 5 minutes on each side. Once pork has a nice char, move the basket to the low or indirect heat zone to finish. Cover grill and allow grilled pork to finish cooking checking frequently. About 5-7 minutes on each side. Time will depend on the temperature of your grill.
- Remove from heat once pork has cooked and serve with rice or vermicelli.
Directions for Building Banh Mi Sliders:
- Steam bao buns in steamer
- Spread tablespoon of aioli on bun
- Top with 3 – 4 thinly sliced pieces of marinated pork shoulder
- Top with sliced cucumber
- Top with shredded carrot and daikon
- Finish spring of fresh cilantro and 1 – 2 slices of fresh jalapeno