Mother’s Day is so close you could touch it, and what better way to celebrate than with a health conscious home-made brunch? Kretschmer Wheat Germ up the nutritional ante by using nutritious wheat germ as a focal point, or as a sub for less nutritious ingredients. Wheat germ is a perfect companion in the kitchen. Sprinkle it on everything from cereals to soups to boost the nutrition, or use it to replace less nutrient-dense foods in cooking, like breadcrumbs. Trying to slim down? When you’re cutting calories, wheat germ helps ensure you’re not also skimping on nutrients by delivering the essential vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy and fuller, longer.
SERVES 4 (2 PANCAKES EACH)
Whip up a batch of these pancakes on a lazy weekend morning or even on a school day! Use fresh fruit in season, but frozen fruit works just fine, too.
- 1 cup Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake mix
- 1/4 cup Kretschmer Original Toasted Wheat Germ
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2 tablespoons fat-free milk (or up to 1 cup for thinner pancakes)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, or fruit of choice
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all fruit jelly, flavor of choice
1. In medium bowl, mix together pancake mix, Kretschmer wheat germ, walnuts and cinnamon.
2. In small bowl, whisk together egg and milk; add to dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
3. Stir in blueberries or fruit of choice.
4. Heat large non-stick pan over high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil. Once the oil is hot, pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Then pour another 1/4 cup batter into pan, allowing space between each pancake. Add two more pancakes if there is enough room in the pan and cook until pancakes are crispy but not burned on one side, about 1 1/2 minutes. (You may need to adjust the heat so pancakes cook properly.) Flip pancakes and cook for another 1 1/2 minutes until pancakes are no longer raw on the inside.
5. Repeat by adding other 1/2 teaspoon oil. Let pan get hot and pour out 1/4 cups of batter to make the rest of the pancakes.
6. While the pancakes are cooking, place the all fruit jelly in microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for about 30 seconds or until jelly is completely melted. (Times may vary depending on your microwave. If you do not have a microwave, place jelly in a small pan on the stove and heat until liquid, about 3 to 5 minutes on medium-low heat. )
7. Serve pancakes with warm jelly sauce divided evenly on top of pancakes.
– See more at: http://www.mywheatgerm.com/Berry-Delicious-Wheat-Germ-Pancakes#sthash.CDwgmBYt.dpuf
Thanks to 360 PR & Kretschmer for the recipe!