The holiday season calls for decorating, get-togethers with family and friends and of course, food. When most people think of a holiday feast they dream of sky-high plates and rich, mouth-watering desserts. Since these festive feasts only come around once a year, it’s seems nearly impossible to pass up on seconds and thirds to save those extra calories. But come time to fit into our LBD to ring in the New Year, you might be wishing you passed on that last serving of stuffing!
Recipes by: Jennifer Christman, RD and Nutrition Manager at Medifast.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Yield: 2 servings
3 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
8 oz (2 cups) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Chives for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium pot, steam cauliflower florets in about one-quarter to one-half cup of water on medium-high heat until tender.
2. Mash cauliflower. Add broth, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to pot, and bring to a boil.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese.
4. Transfer mixture to a blender (or use an immersion blender), and puree soup until smooth. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 370 calories | 17g fat | 13g carbohydrates | 42g protein
Prep time: 5-10 minutes Cooking time: 15-20 minutes Yield: 2 servings
3 cups red radishes, washed and sliced thin
2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
10 sprays cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix radishes with olive oil and spices.
3. Lay the radish slices in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chips are crisp and lightly browned.
Per serving: 80 calories | 6g fat | 7g carbohydrates | 0g protein