On Sunday, October 1, Far East Fest presented by Sapporo hosted Austin’s first ever Far East Fest – Asian Food Festival at the Austin American-Statesman. The festival hosted 30 local Austin restaurants and eateries participating/competing in some of their finest cuisine including choice options of Chinese, to Cambodian, to Indian samples. The Far East Fest celebrated all of greater Austin’s growing Asian communities and promoted restaurant growth through their cuisine.
Attendees and judges enjoyed tastings from 30 of Austin’s best chefs and restaurants who competed for awards ranging from people’s choice to innovative to overall flavor. Additionally, there was a hands-free noodle eating contest, a live art collaboration between Sapporo and SprATX, performances by DJ Jester, HK TaeKwonDo, and The Love of China. To top everything off, there were special VIP appearances by Austin’s Mayor Steve Adler and the Secretary of State Rolando B. Pablos.
- Critics’ Choice: Sway with their roast pork with congee and carrot harissa.
- People’s Choice: Sno Mo served up their fluffy taro shaved snow ice that helped everyone beat the heat.
- Most Innovative: Chicon who served their aged beef chawanmushi with tobiko, thai basil, and black garlic salt.
- Best Food Truck: Dee Dee who offered their deliciously traditional mango sticky rice.
- Best Dessert: Dee Dee once again, because their sticky rice was that good!
- Top Noodle (hands-free Noodle Eating Champion): Eugene Han
Overall the day was a major success, and the Far East Fest cannot wait to come back next year bigger and better!